Friday, August 19, 2011

Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia Phillies

Citizens Bank Park - 2009

Back of the scoreboard giant Phillies cap - 2010

Halladay on the scoreboard - 2011

Phanatic and Phillies Phans - 2010

     Citizens Bank Park opened in 2004, replacing the multi-purpose Vet with a baseball only facility. Randy Wolf, who I howled at in 2001 during Full Moon Mask Night at Veterans Stadium, threw the first pitch of the first game on April 12. Gone are the infield cutouts and the phony grass, and there is a lovely view of the Philadelphia skyline from most of the seating. I usually sit in the Scoreboard Porch section, from the outfield looking in. (I sometimes have to make a 100 mile drive after a game, and this section is closest to my car.) I can still get a pretty good cheesesteak at the new park, but the old French fryers were obviously lost in the move across the parking lot. Citizen Bank fries are your typical stadium fare - that is, inedible.
     With the new stadium pricing pushing me to the upper decks, I only make the occasional trip to the Philly sports complex these days. To sit in row 4 behind home plate (Sec 224) in 2003, my last game at the Vet, I paid $28. Today in the new place, that seat goes for as much as $800, and I just don't understand how these seats sell. Are the new red bricks all around worth that extra money? 

No comments:

Post a Comment